When I make this beautiful soup I always feel cosy and relaxed. It always warms me up even on the coldest days. This is the perfect combination of sweet, savoury and spicy food.
And if you have the chance to make these savoury scones for the soup, you can easily create a hearty, festive meal for any occasion.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 sweet potatoes, about 600g (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1 carrot (about 150g)
- 100ml single cream or creme fraiche
- Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger (grated) or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and ground white pepper to taste
- 150g halloumi cheese (sliced, fried in a dry pan and cut into small cubes)
- 50g pumpkin seeds (pan-fried in a dry pan)
Heat two tablespoons of oil in a heavy stainless steel pot and add the onion and carrot. Fry until it’s soft and slightly golden, then add crushed garlic, grated ginger, ground turmeric and cinnamon. Fry it for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant (keep stirring it constantly).
Add sweet potato cubes and enough cold water to submerge it. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover the pot with a lid, bring to boil and simmer the soup on a low heat until the vegetables are soften.
Using a stick blender or food processor, purée the mixture and return to the pot. Stir in the single cream or crème fresh (don’t bring to boil), season to taste with more salt and pepper if it needs it.
In a dry frying pan, fry the pumpkin seeds first, then fry the halloumi cheese slices until they are nice and golden brown. Cut them into cubes.
Serve cheese cubes and seeds on the side of your beautifully colourful soup with a dash of creme fraiche.
Ingredients and equipment I use:
- Stainless Steel Saucepan/Pot: https://amzn.to/2Baz8tC
Hi, just a heads up, our posts may contain affiliate links. This means, if you buy something within a certain time frame using one of the those links, we'll get a small commission which helps PotSwinger keep on going. I only link to products I personally recommend. Best thing is, it won't cost you a penny more. Thank you for your support!